JUST SHOW UP - I am going to show up and do my job and let God do the rest

all images and stories are copyright protected and property of Julie Landreth

Thursday, November 17, 2011

A day in Napa Valley, Second Stop: Stony Hill Vineyards

Can you imagine if you grew up going to visit your grandparents house?

We drove to the top of the hill (or mountain) and discovered this wonderful home nestled amongst the vineyards

Our guide Fred, his grandparents bought the property after WWII and started developing wine.

His Grandpa had the grapes carved into the beautiful solid wood doors.

vines growing around the enrty

while ZD used new barrels, Stony Hill used barrels that are older than me and Fred.

These barrels were from France

I loved see the diversity throughout the day how the barrels are stored

I loved this rustic old cellar like building with low lighting.

such character! some day I will have wood lining my ceilings where I live.

More berries and vines because I liked them.

Loved the aged signage

Loved the vintage door

LOVE THIS! it could definitely be used for a marketing piece for their family vineyard.

Such a breath-taking view. The weather was wonderful!

Can you spot little Lucy? She is Fred's dog and she is in this photo. She was having so much fun, made me wish I was a dog.

You can barely see the roof of the homestead to the left peeking above the tree line.

Something I missed living in Houston was the changing of the trees when the seasons change to fall.

One of my favorite things about this wine tasting was that we were invited into his parents home/ his weekend home to taste all the lovely wine. He even pulled out an incredible Syrah for us to try and that is the one I bought. But, I loved the Gewurztraminer! and the Chardonnay was good too because it was non-malo-lactic.

Hanging out with Fred was like visiting with a friend for the day. The tour was so nice and intimate. This was the view from the patio off the dining room table. With a view like this, I could eat at that dining table all the time.

Missing my Japanese Maple in my yard in Houston, though I will admit it never turned this beautifully.

It was like stepping back in time, how they left their property as natural. I love the texture of moss growing on an old stone wall.

And the texture of this old bench.

This was one of the biggest slugs I have ever seen. I put a leaf there to show scale but not sure if it does it justice.

Lastly, call it strange, but yes I will photograph a bathroom, especially when it is as lovely and inviting as this one. I love the big armoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment